Early in the morning, while most of us were
probably in our beds, history was created as
India’s Mars Orbiter Mission (M.O.M.)
successfully entered the orbit of the red planet.
The I.S.R.O. pulled off an incredible feat of frugal
engineering and helped us join an elite club of
space-faring nations to have accomplished this
The internet has been abuzz and congratulations
have been pouring in. Here are a few facts about
the mission which every Indian would be proud
1. India is the first country in the world to have
succeeded in putting a probe into Mars’ orbit in
the very first attempt.
2. This is, hands down, the most cost effective
Mars Mission to have ever been undertaken.
The Mangalyaan Mission cost $ 74 million. The
recent Hollywood space adventure movie
“Gravity” cost about a $ 100 million to make.
3. On an average, every Indian has probably
contributed about Rs. 5 per person towards the
So pat yourselves on the back.
4. At Rs 450 Crore for 780 Million km, the
mission cost about Rs 5.77 per km. That is
cheaper than what many auto-rickshaws charge
in the country.
5. N.A.S.A. took 5 years to complete its “Maven”
Mars Orbiter. The I.S.R.O. took just 15 months to
6. They even managed to make it weigh about
1,350 kilograms. That’s less than your average
7. The odds were stacked against us. Of the 51
Mars missions attempted across the world so far,
only 21 have succeeded. But we nailed it.
8. India will join the U.S, Europe and Russia in
an elite group of countries to have successfully
undertaken a mission to Mars.
9. The success of the mission will solidify India’s
reputation as a competent and low cost base for